Thursday, July 17, 2008

New Home

Today we received our permanent placements!! I am soooo excited. I am with a family in Nunoa, one of the comunas of Santiago. Per Google Earth, it's about 3 miles away from the Orthodox Church here in town (which I discovered is like four blocks from our hotel - should have searched for it earlier). From the picture I have, the family consists of a mother, Veronica Flores, and two daughters, but I haven't confirmed the details yet. I will meet them tomorrow at 3:30, after purchasing a SIM card for my cell phone (yay! communication!). I'm really excited!

I'm starting to get the hang of the money thing. Apparently, 500 pesos equals 1 dollar, so at least it's a (relatively) easy conversion. But prices here really aren't much cheaper.

The other piece of interesting news is that it looks as though I will get a chance to do some volunteer work in some of the colegios (middle-high schools) around here tutoring students in English pronunciation. I'm really excited and will learn more about that in a couple of weeks.

As far as the weather goes, it's like a northwest coastal winter. Nights are freeeeeeezing (yay for thermal pajamas), but daytime is pretty nice, 50s and 60s. If this is the coldest it's going to get, I'm not going to complain.


Anyway, that's all from this part of the world. Chao!!

No comments: