Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Classes

Well, for the last few days, we´ve been signing up for classes (i´m going to apologize now for typos...i´m in an internet cafe with a crazy chilean keyboard). University of Chile is a very large spread out school. It has multiple campuses all over the city. We went to the Campus Macul, the largest, and it was very interesting. The walls were covered in pictures of Che Guevara (the guy that helped Fidel Castro take over Cuba), Marx quotes, anarchy symbols, etc. We were told that students stage demonstrations every year on Sept. 11 in response to the anniversary of the coup in 1973, complete with police retaliation and tear gas (don´t worry, we were shown the escape route and I´m going to try not to be in class that day). La Catolica is completely different. Very clean and tidy, with crosses and icons in the classroom. Much more my style. Haha.

Anyway, it looks like I´ll know my schedule by the end of the week, so I´ll be sure to let everyone know what that is.

This last weekend was a lot of fun. Saturday I got to sleep in (yay), and that afternoon I went to see Batman with my host sister, Paula (the one my age). Afterwards, we got to do a little shopping and I bought a pair of dress pants for $8!!!!

Sunday, I manage to get to church by myself (yayayay). After church, I met a lady who is a catechumen and we talked together for a while. I also met the choir director (who is originally from Pittsburgh and married a chilean man) and the president and secretary of the youth group. I´m going to try to make it to the meeting this Friday.

After church, I went over to Fr. Francisco and Lorena´s house (which happens to be two doors down from the President´s house). We had a wonderful time talking about church stuff and school stuff, looking over pictures, and just hanging out with the kids. Sunday night, I got to relax a little bit and recover from a cold I caught, which is thankfully just about over thanks to some awesome foreign meds.

Other than that, I have a paper due on the 14 (yuck, homework already) and have learned the pharmaceutical system almost as well as the transportation system. I will write more later with updates, but I hope everyone is doing well and I hope to hear from you soon! (hint hint...email is always great, as is facebook). Bye for now!

No comments: