Monday, September 22, 2008

Fiestas Patrias and Frank's visit - Day 1

From September 18-21, Chile celebrates its day of independence, when the first meeting of patriots met to plan their separation from Spain in 1810. I had the great blessing (and it truly was a blessing) to spend my first Fiestas Patrias with my fiance, Frank, who came to visit me for this weekend. Since he was only here for five days, we tried hard to accomplish many things in a very short period of time. Thus, there is lots to write (and lots to read). As it is getting late (12:30 already) I will limit this post just to our first day. Pictures will also be coming soon (naturally).

Thursday, my host sister Sandy and I got up early and drove to the airport to pick up Frank. After a little scurrying around, we finally found him. It was so great to see each other after so many months. We left the airport and drove Frank to the hostel where he would be staying the next couple of days. The hostel is run by Don Ignacio and attended to by my host mom, Veronica. It is a small, but comfortable converted house in the comuna of Providencia, one metro stop away from the church and about a half an hour bus ride from my house (in other words, really convenient). After unpacking and resting for a bit, I took Frank to my host family's house where we had a huge lunch to celebrate 18 (dieciocho). We had steak, rice, potato salad, a variety of other salads, and dessert of fruit and cream, all washed down with Gato Negro red wine (it comes in a box, but is actually very good). After a post-lunch nap, Frank and I headed to the Providencia Fonda, which is basically a huge fair set up to celebrate dieciocho. There were different stands with traditional Chilean games, such as climbing a greased pole, something similar to bocci, and kite flying; a zoo with native Chilean animals, including llamas; clowns and a circus; exhibits from different parts of Chile showing traditional housing and artifacts; live music and dancing, including a cueca competition (cueca is the national dance of Chile and is supposed to simulate the rooster chasing the hen; it is actually very pretty to watch, but very difficult to do); and, of course, food. We tried the traditional Chilean combo of chica and empanadas, and then spent the evening browsing the artesan tables and looking at hand made jewerly, clothing figurines, etc. After that, it was back to the hostel for a good night's sleep for Frank, and back home for me to get ready for Friday - a trip to Vina del Mar!

No comments: