Friday, August 8, 2008

Updates

So, I know it's been quite a while since my last written post. Things here have really been busy (not to mention that fact that people around here have a habit of not going to bed until like 1 or 2 in the morning).

Let's begin at the beginning...

As I mentioned before, classes started on Monday. I had the interesting experience of showing up to class with only two other people and realizing that the professor was not showing up. After wandering around the Facultad de Educacion a while, we finally found somebody who could tell us what was up. It turns out that the professor had canceled class for the day. He had sent an email to all of the registered students informing them of this, and put a note up on the class website. Since we exchange students are not actually registered for classes yet, we unfortunately did not receive said email. Semi-disappointed for having drug myself all the way to campus for nothing, I returned home and spent the afternoon in the company of my host sisters watching TV and tidying up around here.

Tuesday was a little more productive. The first class I went to (Anthropology) was also canceled, but at least the TA's were there to explain to the whole class that the professor was ill and to give us the dates for the exams this semester. This class had quite a few more Americans in it than my Ed class, which was nice since I knew some people, but also frustrating as most of the Americans I knew have this aversion to speaking Spanish amongst ourselves (really weird, I think, since that is why we came here). But, I did meet a girl from another program who is facing similar frustrations and we have had a great time speaking Spanish together. Afterwards, I went to my Chilean Poetry class...what an experience! First of all, 25 Americans show up like 15 minutes before class starts (again, since nobody is registered, everyone is just kinda attending whichever classes they want) and fill up the room. Between 5 minutes before and 5 minutes after class starts, about 25 Chilean students filter in and realize there are no more desks to sit at. So, they fill up the floor. The professor, bless her heart, is at this point really trying to hold things together. She warmly welcomes all of the international students (us), but says she only has enough syllabi for about 40 people. Hence, quite a few Americans are now without one. All in all, the class went really well and while many of my compatriots have decided not to take the class ("too many Americans"...kinda ironic), there are still quite a few of us left, mainly interested in the awesome professor (to be continued when I talk about Thursday)...

Throughout this time, I have also been working on my final paper for my Contemporary Chile class. I have decided to do something on Violeta Parra, a renowned folk artist. I'm also getting lessons on Chilean essay writing from my host sister, Sandy. Apparently, Chileans are a great deal more long-winded in their essays than Americans are...hey, no complaints here. I can write 7 pages of nothing quite easily, I've determined. Haha.

Wednesday, I showed up for my Ed class again, not really expecting much, but went just in case. Again, no professor, and we determined with some other Chilean students that he must be starting class on Monday...we'll see. Otherwise, I'll have to find another class, which will kinda be a pain since we're already a week into classes. Whatever, it'll work out. It all turned out for the best since I had time to make some photocopies for my poetry class. The process is very different. Each class has a folder with all of the readings for the semester. You fill out a little slip saying which reading from which folder (unfortunately, it is quite difficult to photocopy the entire folder at once), stand in line for like 1/2 hour (because everyone is making photocopies), hand the slip to the photocopy guy, pay him, and then he gives you an estimated time for pick up. In my case, it was two hours later. And, of course, I have no homework since I haven't had any other class yet. So...I manage to get into the library, but have not access to the computers (since I don't have my ID card yet either), so I just kinda wander around a bit. Found a funny little pamphlet on Anthropology which was kinda like a cartoon strip about two boys who find an arrowhead and take it to an Anthropologist who goes on to explain what early life was in pre-historical Chile. Kinda cool, I thought. I will have to see if I can get a copy to take home.

Wednesday night, I went to church for the Feast of the Transfiguration. I was invited by Fr. Francisco's wife, Lorena, to sing in the choir, which was a lot of fun. There were about 30 people at Liturgy and everything was very beautiful. Afterwards, we had some snacks in the hall and I met Marjorie, a history major at La Catolica. She and I are going to get together on Monday for lunch, and hopefully get a chance to hang out during the school day. Following this, Fr. Francisco had a class on the Feast and I went home to celebrate Sandy's birthday. We had dinner and a very delicious cake, followed by watching "Who deserves to be a millionaire" - the Chilean version, which by the way I like a lot better. It takes smart famous people onto the show who then sponsor someone they feel should be a millionaire (for example, there was a single mom with four children, three of whom had severe mental disabilities). If they win, the money goes to the person they sponsor. Pretty cool, I thought, and much healthier than the American version.

Thursday, we got stood up in our anthro class, but at least we were all in it together. I met Fabiona, a Chilean student in my class, and we talked a little bit afterwards before I went to read my poetry homework. The weather was very nice, 18C/63ishF, so I ate my lunch outside while I did my homework. Poetry class was full again, but not quite as much as Tuesday, and more Chileans had seats this time. We found out that this particular professor only has about 10 spots left for foreign students. Since we can't register until Monday, I am planning an early day to run and get my spot. While I could take the same class with one of two other professors, this particular professor is very animated and obviously loves what she teaches. I would much rather take it with her, if I can. Please pray that this works out.

Thursday afternoon, I went to a meeting for volunteer work at the CIEE office. I learned about a program through the Chilean Department of Education called "Ingles abre puertas": English opens doors. Native English speakers (me) spend 4-16 hours a week (4 is looking really good) in a public school helping Chilean teachers teach English. I'm really interested in doing this, and am going to sign up this week. I think it would be a great experience to take home with me as an ESL teacher, and will also probably help me get my EFL (English as a Foreign Language) certificate later on.

Well, I think that brings us to today (Friday). Thanks to wonderful scheduling (thank you, thank you *bows*), I have NO CLASSES on Fridays :) I got to sleep in late and have been working on homework while planning to watch the Olympics later on. Tonight, I am planning on going to church again for the youth group meeting. I'm really looking forward to it! I think they generally do a Bible study and then talk about their activities for the week. I will let you know how that goes.

That's all from this end of the world (haha). I'd love to hear how everyone else is doing as well, so please pass this on to friends and family and send an email if you get a chance. Love you all!

No comments: