Friday, October 31, 2008

Trip to Arica and Iquique - Day 4/5

Sunday morning, we took a taxi to the bus station where we caught the first bus to Iquique. 5 hours on a bus is not fun, and we were all very grateful we had flown from Santiago instead of the possibly cheaper option of taking the 28 hour bus ride (that would have been aweful!). We got to Iquique about lunch time, enjoyed the cities specialty (seafood!!), and then went grocery shopping for some home cooked dinner.

We were staying at the Backpacker's Hostel, which is a chain of hostels specifically designed for (go figure) backpackers. We had access to the kitchen, and the atmosphere was a lot of fun. After shopping, my friends took a trip paragliding and as I am not quite so brave, I contented myself to reading on the beach and walking through waves - which was plenty of fun for me :)

We all ended up back at the hostel in time to start dinner. In the process, we met a lot of fellow traveler's from around the world, including the US, England, and France. It was fun sharing experiences, as we had all definitely been in Chile longer than most of them, and could share some very helpful tips. For dinner, we cooked some improv Indian food (yay for my friend travelling with Marsala mix) and then made a dessert of chocolate dipped fruit - a big hit with everyone in the hostel!

We spent the evening hanging out and talking, and got to bed late, but happy overall with our trip.

Monday morning, we headed to the airport for our flight back to Santiago. As I didn't get home in time for class that day, I spent the rest of the afternoon sleeping, which was well needed after our trip.

Anyway, that's the Arica trip. Pictures will be in the next post, so I hope you enjoy them.

No comments: